Monday, October 15, 2012

Food for the baby!

It's about that time again.  We are starting Athaiah on big girl food!  I love watching them at this stage explore all the fun and different flavors of food.  I made our baby food last time and we decided to do it again this time.  It is way easier on the wallet than buying a whole bunch of the baby food in the jars.  The run down on the cost is usually between 4 and 11 cents for 2 oz, which is about what they eat in the beginning. 

I make a lot of basics and then I just mix them together to make a lot of fun and different mixes.  Here is what I have made...pears, apples, bananas, mango, carrots, sweet potatoes, peas, green beans, and squash.  I need to make fresh of all the veggies as I had one small bag of each leftover from when Elijah was eating them.  They have been in the deep freeze so they are still good to use, but won't last us too long. 
 She has tried all the fruit so far and has loved it.  Last night she ate sweet potatoes for the first time, we mixed it with some pears.  She couldn't get enough.  My little eater is quickly turning into a big eater in just a few weeks.  It is amazing how good she is doing and how much she is loving it. Her current favorite is pears, she can't get enough of them.  She isn't too keen on bananas, it must be a texture thing, Elijah didn't like them until he ate them as finger food. Usually once she is done with all the basic flavors then I start to slowly add extras.  A big combination of fruit for a fruit salad feel, or a whole bunch of veggies together.  I love to add cinnamon and nutmeg to pears, apples, and sweet potatoes.  They just seem to make them taste so much better, and it is fun for them because then they get a taste of something different.
(Cute little messy lips!)
I can't wait to finish making everything and to have fun experimenting with different types of food.  I think this year I may make some pumpkin, it wasn't really too fresh when Elijah 1st started baby food, so I would like to try it this time.  Speaking of Elijah he still loves the baby food, every time we sit down for Athaiah to eat he comes and sits right next to us and begs for bites the whole time.  That boy and food, I tell you what!

No comments:

Post a Comment