Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Potty Training

Yep folks it is that time in the Turley household-time to conquer potty training.  Now this was not quite our idea, I probably would have waited until things settled down a bit on the home front.  BUT Elijah came to me the morning my mom was supposed to come in and said he needed to use the potty.  Now he does this on occasion-nothing ever happens.  I do always put him on the potty so he is well aware of what "going potty" means.  This is never a regular thing and this is never something he has actually accomplished.  He usually just sits there for a minute then says all done and goes about his day.  On this particular day, I set him on the potty like usual.  Nothing happened(of course, I'm thinking), and I set him on the floor.  As I'm turning around to leave and get him a new diaper he pees on the floor, REALLY??? He peed and he knew he had to pee! I felt awful, I took him off the potty too soon and now he peed on the floor-totally a mommy fail. I just thought this was the same routine as usual! Nope not the case.  Well since that wonderful morning, we have been potty training. He has shown so much interest in it making it pretty easy on us! I definitely thought it would be a whole lot more difficult.  He has always been one to wait until he is pretty much ready and then there is no turning back.  I never thought folding cute little boy underwear would be fun, but as a mom let me tell you what-there is nothing better(especially when you have 3 in diapers)!

It is a great reminder every time I'm folding a load of laundry that time flies, I mean REALLY FLIES.  I always thought we wouldn't potty train until closer to 3 just because he has always done things at a slower pace, come on he didn't even start walking until he was 20months old so to be potty training not even a year later is amazing to me.  My little man is growing up.  I absolutely can't believe it!  Where is time going, and why won't it slow down?  My baby is not a baby any more and wait I have 2 more babies. AAHHH!

My best advice in this potty training experience so far is-if you have a boy, naked is the way to go! I let him run around the house with no underwear on all the time. For one thing, it saves on laundry and we have talked before about how much I hate laundry. For another thing no accidents.  He only has accidents once he has underwear on.  This is something we are working on, and he has been accident free out in public.  He only has them at home with his underwear on-can't quite figure that one out, but that is ok.  We are just beginning the process and I think we are all having fun! (at least I hope we are all having fun)
I will say his little underwear bum is too cute for words!

No comments:

Post a Comment