Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Wednesday-French Toast Bake

This recipe was supposed to be one of our family friends, BUT my computer decided to act up and not let me on the internet...meaning I couldn't get to my email to find the recipe. I had to make this one up since I had no internet access-I will say this is my best one yet.  I usually have something to go off of, but all I had on this one was my taste buds!

French Toast Bake:
3/4 Loaf of bread(just regular bread) or 1 loaf of day old french bread(didn't have that on hand so I used regular bread)
6 eggs
2 c milk
3/4 c sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Topping:
1/2 c flour
1/2 c brown sugar
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 sick cold butter
Apples(peeled and chopped) *optional, but highly recommended

Grease a 13x9 pan, cut or tear your bread. I cut mine because I am OCD like that(or as my husband likes to say CDO-because then it is in alphabetical order!)  I was able to cut each slice of bread into 9 pieces, and I used about 3/4 of a loaf of bread.
I didn't have any french bread on hand-but I do know that the family friend makes it with day old french bread-so feel free to go that direction as well!
Mix the eggs, milk, sugar, and cinnamon together, and then pour over top of the bread.
Let this set for at least 1 hour-or overnight, in the fridge! (I made this up that morning and let it set until I was ready to pop it in the oven which gave it slightly over an hr to bake)

For the topping: Mix everything together except for the apples, and cut it all together until the butter chunks are really small, like pea sized or even smaller if you wish.  I used my mixed on low to do this step since I didn't feel like cutting it with a knife(like usual), still had grumpy kids, so convienence was a must!(worked wonderfully, I will do it this way from now on, so I don't have to waste all that energy on cutting thru cold butter!)
Assembly: Since you already have the eggs mixture and the bread together, right before you put it in the oven top with apples(if your not using apples, skip this step), then top with the crumbly buttery goodness!
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes(this keeps it moist, if you like yours a bit firmer then cook it for longer) We like things underdone in this household, and this was not under done but was just perfect!
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment