Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sweet Potatoes

I usually make about 2 sweet potatoes at a time although you can do as many as you would like.  Sweet Potatoes are really easy to make and thank goodness because my little man absolutely loves them.  You can also use yams if you can't find any sweet potatoes as they are interchangeable.

Set the oven to 350.  Wash the potatoes, and poke some holes in them so they can steam.  Then you are going to place them in the oven.  I would put a cookie sheet or something below them as some of the sugary goodness does seep out and you don't want to have to clean the whole oven out after cooking these. They will need to cook anywhere from 1-3 hrs depending on how many are in the oven and how big they are.  I find with 2 it usually takes about 1.5hrs.

When they are done baking you simply slide them out of the skins and put them in the blender.(They will be hot so if you need to let them cook for a bit please do as we don't want any burnt fingers.)  Now they are smooth but my blender has a hard time mashing them together and I found that it takes about 12oz of water in order for my blender to work.  But even with this much water they still turn out quite thick. Then spoon into ice cube trays and freeze. Once they are frozen move to freezer bags and label.


The other way that you can make them is you can peel them, and then cook them in the microwave until soft.  Or you can microwave them with the skins on.  It is really up to you how you want to cook them.  I just prefer the oven, because I throw those in there first and then I work on all the other baby food while they are cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment