Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Baby Knit Pants

I had some knit fabric left from when I made those knit skirts- for that tutorial go here, so I decided to make her some cute pants to go with the dress I made her.
I took a pair of her pants and folded them in half along the seam, so I could get the shape of the pants that I needed.  I cut this out adding a bit of extra for seam allowance.  Make sure when you cut it out that the width of the pants is on the stretchy side, so it will stretch up over the diaper buns! Oh yeah, fold it in half and lay your pants up against on side of the fabric, so you will have one whole leg at a time, so you only have to sew up one seam, it makes it much easier that way!

Next, I pinned the two pieces of fabric together, so they would make pants-do this with the right sides of the fabric together so the seams will be on the inside. Sew up that seam very carefully.  Now go down each of the legs and sew up those seams separately.  Now that you have the pants made,  Sew up the bottom of the legs, I did this using a zig zag stitch using 1/2" seam allowance. Which means I folded about 1/4" under and then sewed from there so they would have a nice looking edge.

Now for the waistband you can do one of two things.  You can add elastic to the top and just cut the elastic so that it is 2" smaller than what you need so it can stretch and fit snugly. Elastic waistbands are quite easy to do, just stretch the elastic as you go around the pants so that it will fit. When you do this fold over about 1/2" of fabric and place it in the fold so that it is held tight and not visible.  OR you can make a yoga style waistband, so you can fold it under.  Do whichever you please. If you go the above skirt pattern it will show you how to do a yoga waistband.  The only difference is that I only cut it 3.5" tall instead of 7" since it was for a baby girl!
 Just for fun I added those same flowers to the bottom sides of the pants.  They were cute plain, but why not dress them up if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment