Friday, November 1, 2013

Thankful Turkey

We decided to make a Thankful Turkey this year.  I want my children to learn how to be positive and thankful people. We decided to help them recognize the season and being thankful-we would do a month long project.

Elijah helped me make this, and he thought it was so much fun! Got love craft time with mommy! (too bad I didn't get a picture of him helping me, I need to be better about that)

What you need:
2 Foam Balls-1 small and 1 large
Brown spray paint
yellow paint(just a dab)
orange pipe cleaner
2 googly eyes
small wooden sticks(toothpicks)
construction paper(all colors)
glue

 Take your foam balls and spray paint them brown. This took 2 coats!
(this was the 1st coat)
 
Attach the two balls, do this using 2 of the small wooden sticks
Glue the googly eyes onto the small ball, paint a yellow beak on.
Attach a small portion of the pipe cleaner around the beak-attach it using glue
 (don't mind he eyes, they kept getting a glare on them from the light.)
 
Put two of the wooden sticks on the bottom to help hold the balls up in a standing position!
Cut out the construction paper to make your feathers and attach a small wooden stick to each with glue. 
Then for each day we will write something we are thankful for on a feather and place it in the turkey.  Look for a full turkey at the end of the month.  I am so excited to do this with my kids.  I'm hoping it will just help them put thankfulness more into practice.  I can't wait to make this a November tradition leading up to Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment