Saturday, May 26, 2012

Bedroom curtains

I needed to make some curtains for our bedroom as they were looking rather dull.  Also the fire escape window down there has had a blanket over the window since we moved in. It was definitely time for an update what do you think?


While searching pinterest one day I found a picture of some really pretty curtains.  I showed them to my husband and got to work on trying to mimic them.  I never looked to see if there was a tutorial attached to the picture I just got to work on making them.

First, I took a sheer curtain and cut it into strips.  I cut them 14" wide, and I believe it was like 32" long.  Anyway you would cut them to the length of the window you are making plus 2" for the top so a curtain rod can go through it and another 1/2" for seam allowance on the bottom.  If your curtain rod is wider, then you would obviously need to add more fabric to the length to make up for that difference.

Second, I then cut the grey fabric to 1.5X that length since it is going to have a ruffle in it. Make the top part for the curtain rod-I did this by just folding the top piece of fabric over to the wrong side of the fabric so they are wrong sides together and just stitched it up so you can slide the rod right through it. I hope that makes sense.

Third, once it is cut then you are going to do a gather stitch down the middle of the curtain.  Gather this up so that it is the same length as your other strips of curtain.

Forth, hem up all the bottom seams on everything to hold the gather in place.  Trim any loose ends of string off.

Fifth, Hang on the curtain rod. Looks much better don't you think.  Now I just need to make another one for the little window!

No comments:

Post a Comment