Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pesky Little worms

The other day I noticed my broccoli was getting holes in it.  I thought it was strange, but since I'm new to gardening I just didn't think much about it.  Well the next day the holes were bigger, and then today when I went outside to look at my plants guess what the leaves were almost gone.  I thought maybe it was a big animal eating my plants and I was starting to get a bit mad at them.  Especially since there is this cat that is always hanging around, I thought that little imp of a cat had gotten to my broccoli. Come to find out it was not a big animal, or a bird, or that little cat, it is and was something much smaller.  A broccoli worm- A LOT of broccoli worms.
I scoured the Internet and found out how to get rid of them. A product called DT- it has a really big long name (Bacillus thuringiensis) and can be found in both a powder and in an already mixed spray.  Everything I read said until it starts working just pluck the little buggers off the broccoli and kill them.  This product is organic and made of a bacteria that basically makes the worms stop eating and essentially they starve to death.  Sounds kind of harsh I guess, but I would like the opportunity to eat my broccoli and not to give it all away.  So off to work I go.  I'm gonna get these guys if it's the last thing I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment