Monday, October 31, 2011

Homemade Flea Spray

So flea treatment is really expensive so it got me searching high and low for something I could use that is a bit cheaper than Frontline, since we have 3 pets that need it that gets really expensive to pay for that treatment every month.  I found something that caught my eye! Well actually two things!
That's right lemons! When life gives you lemons make lemonade, well sort of.  You boil some water and then you add 6-8 lemons all sliced.  Let them set over night, add to a spray bottle.  Spray all the animals down good.  You can also use this on furniture and carpeting or any where else you may be afraid there may be an infestation.  There is something in the lemons that kills the fleas, so this will kill any live ones that are on your pets.  Use daily for a week to keep them at bay and spray down everything and vacuum daily emptying the vacuum outside so they do not get away in your house again in case any of them did not die in the process.

The next one is a repellent.  Vinegar water!  That's right fleas hate the smell of vinegar so if you spray your pets down with this it will keep the fleas away once you have all the current ones killed.  This makes me so happy and it seems to be working really well.

Also a good soap to wash your pet in if they have fleas, is Dawn so figure.  It also kills fleas and it sticks to them so when you wash the soap off you wash all the fleas down the drain with it.  I use Dawn soap to wash all my dishes so this definitely will save me money instead of going out and buying that expensive flea shampoo.

Alright, so that was three, but they are all amazing and seem to be working so well, it makes me so happy!

Don't judge, I did research on why we were having such a flea problem.  Turns out they like shaded areas, and guess what my whole back yard it shaded and that is where we let Decafe out to go to the bathroom, so there is pretty much no way around it except to keep all the animals treated.  You can also spray all of these in your yard and it is supposed to keep them at bay and kill the current ones.  I haven't done that yet since it is starting to get cold and they normally disappear then, but come summer you can bet your money my whole yard will smell like lemon and vinegar!

No comments:

Post a Comment