Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Redone pants=cute skirt!

I have been needing some new bottoms since recently my clothes decided shrink...don't know why but all my pants are high waters!  I was trying to fall asleep last night and couldn't, when I suddenly got the idea to try and make a skirt out of my khaki pants. I couldn't wait to fall asleep so I could get started on the project bright and early. This took me about 1 hr to make, probably would have gone faster if I knew what I was doing but I made it up as I went along and prayed it would work.

 First, I measure the inseam of the pants it was 29", I then measure up from the bottom 14.5" and pinned it on both sides and in the middle of the leg.  I then cut the leg off where I had placed the pins.  This made them look like shorts!
 Next I cut the top off off the pants, I did this by going to the beginning of the inseam and cutting it off there, now they look like booty shorts, haha something I would never in a million years wear.  Now I have 4 pieces of leg and the top part of the pants.
Now, cut the inseam off all the pants so that they lay flat!  Pin them together with seam allowance.  I just did the side of the pants where the old hem was so I didn't have too do any measuring.  I know measuring is a necessary step but in my opinion it is the most boring part of sewing, that and the pinning!
 Start sewing all those seams together. I first sewed them all in a straight line and then when I had all the pieces put together I sewed the last two end together to make a circle.  I did not use half of one of the pant legs or it would have been waaaay too wide, so do make sure you measure the total length and that it isn't going to be too big or small.  You don't want to have to take the whole thing apart later.
 We are going to attach the top and bottom piece together now.  With right sides of the fabric facing each other, pin in place.  I did a slight gather on mine because I wanted it to be go out a bit in the legs and not fit too tight.  Then you are going to sew these two pieces together.  I used a 1/2"seam allowance just in case, I didn't want it too close to the edge and risk it coming unraveled.  One of my biggest fears even though nothing has ever come of it, I would be horrified if that happened so I always do a bigger seam allowance on my clothes!
 Turn the fabric right side out when you are done sewing and now you are going to hem up the bottom of the skirt so it looks nice!  I used 1/2" here also. 
 What do you think?  I think it turned out quite nicely, especially for being made out of a pair of pants.
It is more fitted through the hips and then flares out some.  I'm really excited to wear this, I might just wear it to work tonight.  By the way, theses were made out of maternity pants, so now I have a maternity skirt to wear, I'm kind of excited about that.  You could do this with any kind of pant but that is why there is no zipper or anything since it has that lovely huge stretchable waist band.

No comments:

Post a Comment