Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dog Bed

I made this quite a while ago, but now that I know how much he liked it I decided to post it.
Our dog and our two cats used to all sleep in our bed.  Can you say a little too crowded?  We now shut the door at night to keep the cats out, but our dog cried all night long and caused us not to sleep so we let him sleep in the room.  We just needed to figure out a way to keep him off the bed.
Let me preface this by saying he had a dog bed when we first got him, and he was so scared all the time he was constantly peeing on it, so I threw it out figuring it was doing more harm than good in the long run.  With that said I didn't want to go and spend another $20 on a dog bed. (we have to get the big kind since we have a chocolate lab).
As I was making the bed one day I noticed how torn up our mattress pad was getting so I came up with this idea!

I cut all the elastic off the sides of the mattress cover and snipped all the corners so that it would lay flat.  I then found a fleece blanket of mine that I used in high school on my twin bed-which doesn't fit our queen now I just never threw it away because it was soo comfy and it was purple my favorite color.
I then folded the mattress pad so that it was 1/4 of the size(this because my stuffing for the dog bed).  Then I folded the fleece blanket in half around the mattress pad, tucking in all the edges so the seams were nice and neat.  Sew all this together(I had to sew slow as it was really thick).

Guess what you are done.  My dog sleeps on this every night! I never thought we would be able to get him out of the bed.  I think it helped that it had our smell on it from being an older blanket.  Now when we go downstairs he goes straight for his bed, and it hardly took any training at all! (by training I mean that it took us two days of telling him to get off the bed, and when he got off the bed he went straight for his new dog bed).  Made me feel like doggy mom of the year, that is since he likes it so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment