Friday, September 2, 2011

Knit Elf Hat-Baby

I have a friend that loves photography and does an amazing job at it who wanted an elf hat for her newborn son, so she asked me if I could make one.  And I of course, said sure thing!  So here is the pattern that I used.

Note: This was a very quick knit because I was knitting 3 yarns together making it extra thick and fun.

3 balls of yarn(whatever suits you, we used the kind with the balls in it, so it woud have a fun texture)
size 10 needles(again this is big but it's because of how thick the yarn was going to be)

Note: I also always knit my baby hats on straight needls and sew up the side, it is easier for me then trying to do it on the round or double pointed.

Cast on 20 stitches (prob could have done 25)
Knit until hat is 4in in length
Knit 1, Knit 2tog, knit remaining stitches
Continue the decrease pattern until you have half your stitches left.
Knit 6 rows
Knit 1, Knit 2tog, knit remaning stiches
Continue decrease pattern until you have 5 stitches left
Knit until hat is a long as you want it
*I like my elf hat to come down past the base of the hat about 2 in
Cut yarn leave a long tail (don't cast off or remove stitches from needle yet)
Then out of the yarn cut a whole bunch of 18in pieces-I had a total of 15
I then threaded three pieces of yarn into each of the remaining stitches and made them fold in half(so the half way point was by the stitch-therefore making it 6 strands instead of 3
Next braid all the yarns together and tie at the end.  Leaving a nice full tail.
Note:I also added some more yarn pieces to the bottom just to give it some more fun frilly stuff.
This is one of my beautiful friends babies, with the hat on! Isn't it cute????

No comments:

Post a Comment