Sunday, March 4, 2012

Quilted skirt-Adult

Fabric Strips: 3"x21"
Bottom wide piece:11.5"x(1.5x your waist measurement)
Bottom Skinny Piece: 3"x(1.5x your waist measurement)
Waistband" 2"x(how ever big your waist is)
Elastic: I used 1/2" and then 2" less than my waist measurement.

I decided to make this skirt because I had a lot of leftover black and white fabric but not enough of any of it to make a skirt for myself.  Soo I decided I would give it a quilted look and piece them all together.

To start out I cut out all my strips of fabric. I needed 15 strips.
I had a very good helper!

Next, I placed them all out to make sure that they looked evenly spaced with not too much black background in a row. I know they are not all the same length. I cut them all even later(I just started with the length that I had of each fabric to see how long I could get it)

Now you set to work on sewing all these strips together. I used 1/4" seam allowance on these.


 So now you should have what looks like a block of fabric. Make sure it will be wide enough to fit all the way around you! I trimmed the edges all even after I had all the pieces attached.

I then took the pieces I had cut out for the bottom pieces of the skirt and I gathered them at the top click here if you need directions on how to do this.  I then sewed both of these pieces together to make the full bottom.

Take your bottom piece and sew it to your block of fabric scraps, make sure you do this with the right sides together so that you get a nice clean seam.  Also sew it right above the gathered stitch so that the messiness of it is covered.



Now for the waistband.  Take your elastic and put it in your waistband.  I did this by adding it before I put the waistband on the skirt.  Make sure the elastic is 2" shorter than the fabric so that it will hold it better. 
To insert the elastic waistband, fold the top part of the skirt over, and tuck in the bottom so you have a nice clean edge. Now sew up the side.  Make sure you pull on the elastic as you go, so that it will bounce back into place when it is finished. (I forgot to take pictures of this step I'm so sorry and this is a complicated piece to explain)

Once your waistband is made, attach it to the rest of the skirt.  Make sure when you attach it the elastic is at the top and that you sew it with right sides together, this just always keeps everything looking neat and tidy!Turn the fabric so it is right sides together and sew up the side seams.  This will make it a circle.  You are done. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment